Refuge BJJ has an ✨amazing✨ competition team. And more often then not, you will find a tournament listed on our schedule of events. Below is an insight on how our coaches determine which events to promote and support.
- We read the rule set for kids & adults to ensure safe practice
- We validate the tournament uses qualified referees (brown or black belts with training or certification)
- We aim to find local tournaments that are within a reasonable distance from our gym.
- We try to support tournaments with superior:
- Technical operations (online registration, posted schedules, posted brackets)
- "Flow": organization & on-time
- Customer service and support for issues
- We check to ensure coaches are available. It is so important to us to be present for our students and will not promote a tournament we cannot attend.
- Some tournament organizations hold more esteem in the jiu-jitsu community when compared to others. We like to give opportunities to newer organizations, but also afford our students the opportunity to compete against the best of the best.
- Our past experience with different organizations will impact whether or not we recommend them
We encourage our students to branch out and find tournaments that interest them. Please notify Coach Josh prior to registering for a tournament so that the coaching staff and provide you as much support as possible.